As you may have gathered from my last post, I’ve spent a lot of time in Lightroom lately. This weekend, I realized I was getting rusty on the shooting and Photoshop side of things, so I did a quick & dirty macro shoot just to shake the cobwebs off.
1. Light intentionally: This was window light, which was fine, but it was fiddly as the sun peeked in and out of the clouds. Also, the catchlights don’t match (though maybe it’s cool that they’re sort of symmetrical). Next time I’ll set up a speedlight to get more consistency.
2. Get a headrest: My models were standing, and it’s impossible to stand without some sway. Macro lenses have such an incredibly narrow depth of field, and the frame was so tight on the eye, that even a teeeeeeeeny bit of movement meant that the point of focus was in front of or behind the eye, and/or the eye wasn’t fully in the frame. I probably can’t eliminate that movement, but there should be ways to minimize it.
I didn’t have a concept in mind for the final image, but this eventually came together while doodling, and I like the colors (sampled from each eye). I think it could be a cool idea for an engagement photoshoot… next time I have a couple together, I want to give this another go.